Sunday, August 5, 2007

The others

We picked up the three Indian's (no, not Native Americans, Indians from India) today from the airport. Living Word has a project in India, it has for many years. It's a medical project along with a few other things. I have to be honest, I don't know much about our project there. Either way, these three people are ones that we know from this project and they have agreed to join us here in Ethiopia to do relief work. It's amazing really, that people who have so little would travel to another country to help those who have even less. It's a beautiful thing. One of the people, Dr. Sankar, was here with me last summer. He and I shared a room together. He truly is a wonderful person, very kind. This time his wife and another nurse came along, it was the two ladies first time out of India.

In less than 4 hours the other Americans will be arriving. We have been calling them "the others" for the past week or so. I often find myself referring to them as "the Americans", forgetting that (unfortunately sometimes) I am also an American. It's kind of funny actually, I am so used to seeing people with black skin that the other day when I was holding Frew's hand during prayer my white skin shocked me. Even my Ethiopian friends here have begun to tell me that I am becomming more Ethiopian than I am American. I only wish that I could stay longer to make it even more true.

Two of the Americans that are coming are very special people to me, mom and dad. I am very happy that they are coming. My dad was here with me in January and this will be my mom's first time. They haven't travelled in a long time, Ethiopia is quite the place to pick. I hope that they will enjoy it, actually I know that they will. How can you not enjoy a beautiful country, beautiful people, wonderful food and the best coffee in the world? I think it's impossible.

I have just over two weeks left, 16 days to be exact. I can't believe that my time is half over. I think that I will find it very hard to leave. I have become a part of this family, I have become a part of this culture and they both have become a part of me. How do you leave such a thing?

Well, I should rest now...I had to wake up rather early this morning to get to the airport...and I'll probably be up late with the others.

No comments: