Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What to say?

The week with the American team flew by way to fast. I can't believe it's already over, but they flew out yesterday evening. It was pretty difficult to say goodbye, especially to my parents. Even though I hardly knew most of the team, I have a deep love for them. It's something I can't explain, but strong connections can be built in one week. Also, there were people on this team that came with me here last August. So, it was wonderful to be with them again.
I know I've said so much about miracles the past few posts, but I've really been blown away by them. Today I had a lot of time to relax and I couldn't stop wondering why I haven't noticed miracles before this trip. Do miracles not happen in America? Or are we too darn busy to notice them? I think I've learned that (as Mark said in a comment on a previous post) miracles don't have to be these massive ordeals. We don't have to see an angel or see a crippled person instantly stand up. Miracles can be something unexpected. If you could have seen many of the HIV patients we help just one year ago and could compare it to now, I think you would count it as a miracle. By all accounts many of these people should have died, some of them came closer than others. And yet they are up, walking around, smiling, running businesses, etc. It truly is amazing.

I have one more week here. It's not enough. I've strengthened previous relationships, built countless new ones, been welcomed into a family and grown in my love for this country. I can't imagine leaving, it's become another home for me. I'm also entirely unsure of when I'll be able to come back here and that's making it all the harder. To be honest, part of me (ok, quite a lot of me) simply wants to give up everything and move over here immediately. I realize that this is a rash decision and would probably upset quite a few people (like you, mom and dad, I know you want me to finish college...ha).

Tomorrow I'll be visiting a theological school in the morning with Ruth (one of our translators from last week). I'm looking forward to talking to some of the teachers, should be quite interesting. After that, who knows. The rest of the week will be rather crazy. Lot's of friends to visit, restaurants to eat at with them, trips to take out of Addis...should be crazy, but good.

1 comment:

M.A.P. said...

Dan, you're sure having an unforgettable experience.
I'm looking forward to exchanging stories with you soon (in other words, you have to return to Devon)
You're in my prayers,
All the best,
salaam